West Worthing Evangelical Church, Rugby Road, was originally founded in 1900, meetings first being held in the laundry premises in Elm Grove. In 1912 during the pastorate of Rev. John Onions the congregation moved into its own purpose built chapel in Rugby Road. Sunday worship services and a Sunday school, as well as meetings for women, children and young people mid-week were established. The cause was founded upon "undenominational lines" although firmly Protestant, being faithful to the Bible in all aspects of its life and work. The Church has always believed in a triune nature of the Godhead, with Jesus Christ as man's only means of salvation, which He secured through His atonement on the cross. In its early days the church became known for its clear Protestant witness, and for upholding the authenticity and authority of the Word of God. The Church has always relied upon the faithful giving of God's own people to meet its funding and has never resorted to public appeals. During the long history of the church it has passed through difficult times. In the 1939-45 War the premises were used as a day school due to the large influx of evacuees into the town. On the cessation of hostilities a full programme of activities was recommenced, although it was not easy to re-establish he cause after the war.
In the mid 90's the church grew and an attractive hall was added to its premises, and a gallery was installed in the church sanctuary to help accommodate the growing congregation
.The area around where the church now stands was once part of the town's extensive horticultural industry. Just as seeds were once sown and plants nurtured in the area in years gone by, spiritually this is the prayer of the church today: that as the gospel seed is sown, the Lord may be pleased to bring forth spiritual fruit to His honour and glory.